Today's Palais reaches back to the Ban of Croatia, Field Marshall Adam Count Batthyàny. He purchased the plot with the on-site Schleglhof in the late 1600s. After demolishing the Schleglhof famous architect and master builder Fischer von Erlach built this Palais as the family's city residence.
Around 1740 Friedrich Karl von Schönborn came to own it. From this time Rokoko decorations are still to be seen on the first floor, the Bel Etage. The Palais' facade is richly decorated with figures.